Thursday, June 11, 2015

Event 3: Fowler Museum


As a student at UCLA, I have never heard a single thing about the Fowler Museum until I took this class. I think it is a shame that nobody speaks of it because it is truly an amazing place with fascinating exhibits. I made my short walk from Lot 7 over to Fowler Museum, walked inside, and was immediately. I walked in and headed straight. It just so happened that my favorite exhibit was the first one I saw. I was very fascinated by the sculptures in the first room I went in. It was an exhibit called making strange by Vivan Sundarum. I was told by one of the people working in the room that the first project, known as Gagawaka, was made up of twenty-seven sculptural garments made up of medical supplies and recycled materials. This was amazing to me that one could be so resourceful and still make such amazing art. 

By using medical supplies to create the pieces, VIvan Sundarum showed the connection between art and medicine in a way that I would have never imagined. When taking the class, I only thought art and medicine were connected through the actual practice of medicine. After seeing this exhibit, I was proved wrong. Medical pieces actually made up the art which proved to me that art and medicine can quite literally be connected. 

All in all, I feel like I got a greater understanding of how resourceful, and how unexpected art can be. I would have never known these pieces were made up of recycled materials and medical supplies if it were not for the worker telling me. It proves to show the creativity that some artists have. If I were to look at a medical supply, I would never be able to see art in it, but people like Sundarum do just that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment